Our world is fragmented, disordered and chaotic. We are out of alignment with ourselves and the environment on which we depend. Anthropogenic climate change has been allowed to grow like a cancer with the potential to destroy the world as we know it. This is where our best thinking has got us.
Greener Vision is spearheading a series of events in 2024 to explore how we might develop a response to the climate crisis that is commensurate to the scale of challenge.
The series will draw on the report Greener Vision: The Art of Seeing and will be previewed 16th November to 16th December 2023. Claire Haigh, Founder & CEO of Greener Vision, will discuss the key conclusions of Greener Vision: The Art of Seeing in a keynote speech at the Net Zero Nations Projects Conference on 15th November 2023.
Greener Vision: The Art of Seeing calls for a new approach to tackling the climate crisis. Building on consultations with 700 local leaders, businesses, academics, environmental and user groups, the report also draws on a creative project that spanned 30 years. The Tabula Project seeks to provide a new perspective on the mind firstly through examining current thought patterns, then clearing the mind and finally building a new framework for thought.
In applying this process to our approach to the climate crisis, we first examine the assumptions underpinning decision making on net zero. An honest appraisal leads us to conclude that our current paradigm is not fit for purpose. The next step is to identify and remove the main barriers to progress. Finally we can create the foundations for a new paradigm that would enable us to rise to the scale of the climate challenge.
The report concludes that as we consider how to construct a coherent response to the climate crisis in our fragmented, disordered and chaotic world, we would benefit from more holistic thinking and being guided by an approach that seeks to create unity rather than division. Our approach should be informed by ‘The Pillars of Unity’*.
If you would like to hear Claire Haigh’s keynote speech on 15th November at the Net Zero Nations Projects Conference, One Great George Street, Westminster, please register here
If you would like information about The Art of Seeing Preview, to be held 16th November to 16th December 2023, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to receive information about The Pillars of Unity Event Series, to be held in 2024, please sign up here
*THE PILLARS OF UNITY
- The unity of the biosphere – We need a radical realignment of how we perceive ourselves in relation to others and the environment on which we depend. This will require the creation of fairer and more equitable economic systems that allow both humans and the environment to thrive.
- Seeing the whole picture – we need greater honesty and transparency in decision-making, and to become more self-aware. Climate change exposes our tendency to see only what we want to see. Are the assumptions underpinning climate policies fit for purpose? What are we not seeing, or choosing not to see?
- Integrating heart and mind – we need to engage our emotional brains in climate change. Rational scientific data loses out against a compelling emotional story that speaks to people’s values. The tendency to separate thoughts and feelings causes confusion and does not lead to good decision making.
- Healing the whole system – we need to address the root causes of climate change: our addiction to fossil fuels. Too much attention is given to treating symptoms and not enough to the system. We need a whole systems transition to net zero. Pricing properly for carbon is a fundamental building block
- Citizens of One World – we need to connect with our natural empathy and respect for each other and all living species. Climate change is a global intergenerational problem requiring unprecedented levels of cooperation. We must internalise the new zero-sum: either we all win, or we all lose.
About the Author
This post was written by Claire Haigh. Founder & CEO of Greener Vision & Executive Director of the Transport Knowledge Hub. Claire was previously CEO of Greener Transport Solutions (2021-2022) and CEO of Greener Journeys (2009-2020).