Our thinking needs to change if we are to address the scale of the climate challenge. This report by Claire Haigh summarizes the key insights and conclusions from the Pathways to Net Zero series of reports and roundtable discussions that were published and held in 2022 .
The central proposition Pathways to Net Zero is that we need a whole systems transition to net zero which will require a paradigm shift in terms of how we think about decarbonising transport. Net zero strategy should be underpinned by five key principles:
- Our whole economy needs to change
- We must reduce energy demand
- We should price properly for carbon
- We must ensure a fair and just transition
- We must strengthen local leadership
Six reports were published and seven events were held in 2022 involving more than 100 leading academics, local politicians, businesses, environmental groups, consumer groups and think tanks.
- Pathways to Net Zero: Building a framework for systemic change, March 2022
- Pathways to Net Zero: Report on a Roundtable Discussions Series, June 2022
- Pathways to Net Zero: A Greener Vision, September 2022
- Pathways to Net Zero: Report on Roundtable Discussion – Hasta La Vista, Carbon! November 2022
- Pathways to Net Zero: Report on Roundtable Discussion – The Future We Want, November 2022
- Pathways to Net Zero: Series of Reports and Roundtable Discussions, December 2022