This paper sets out a detailed account of the Pathways to Net Zero – The Future We Want roundtable discussion that was held on 14th October 2022.
Building on the first Pathways to Net Zero Series in March 2022, Pathways to Net Zero Series 2 in October 2022 sought to identify solutions to deliver emissions reductions at the scale and pace needed.
The Future We Want chaired by Professor Jillian Anable, Chair in Transport and Energy, Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds, focused on how we can create an inspiring greener vision for the future, which will help build the mandate for change and tough decisions for the long term. Participants were invited to consider:
- What would a sustainable aspirational lifestyle look like?
- How do we move beyond the language of sacrifice and narratives of doom and gloom, and develop an inspiring and hopeful vision for the future?
- What do we want our towns and cities to look like, and how do we bring that about?
- How do we empower our local leaders? What support is needed for local councils? What is the role of enterprise and business?
- 84% of people are concerned about climate change. How do we build on that?
- How do we move from a culture that is primarily focused on consumerism to one that recognises our fundamental interdependence with each other and the biosphere?
This paper sets out a detailed account of the discussion. Comments by participants are grouped under three main themes:
- Creating a vision for the future
- Transforming our towns and cities
- Engaging with the public